Thursday, May 3, 2012

in which I tout an Italian woman with real skillz

I met Angelina, chief cook and arbiter of style at ladynine.blogspot.com, at Art in Bloom and she did not look like a cloud in the blue sky so naturally I did not take her picture. I've just gone to her blog and been blown away -- here is someone whose kitchen creations do not serve as a horrible warning. Here is someone who can make food that people can eat with their eyes open. I have copied and pasted her recipe for Basil Lemonade below in hopes that some of you who are not reading all this shit might think I cut those lemons so thin and perfect like that, and that I have a cutting board and made this refreshing drink. For all my guests. And my small German/Irish family that gets together irregularly and worries when I have a glass of wine in my hand.

Basil Lemonade


With the summer-like weather this weekend, I thought it would be the perfect time to make my Basil Lemonade.  The inspiration of this drink came from the wonderful D'amico and Sons restaurant here in uptown.  A few summers ago, they featured this lovely drink and I instantly had to go home and create my own recipe.  After a few trials and many lemons later (I used to squeeze the lemons by hand and figured out buying the juice is much easier), I discovered the perfect drink that is fantastic for picnics, summer barbecue parties, or just during a hot day.  If you are entertaining, feel free to add some rum or vodka to the mix. Cheers!

Basil Lemonade
4 cups water
3 cups basil simple syrup (recipe follows)
2 cups pure lemon juice
1 lemon sliced into wheels
1 small bunch of basil leaves

In a large pitcher pour in the water, basil simple syrup, and lemon juice.  Stir to combine and then add the sliced lemon wheels.  Tear the basil leaves in half to release their flavor and add to the pitcher.  Stir all ingredients together and pour into a glass filled with ice.

Basil Simple Syrup
3 cups of water
3 cups of granulated sugar
3 bunches of basil (about 2.5 oz)

In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and basil.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and cool the syrup.  Once cooled, remove the basil leaves and discard.  Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.





No comments: