Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Commodore, St. Paul


Meet Linnae and Karen, the women behind Embraceable You Vintage Clothing and Accessories. They are part of the excuse to go out on a Monday evening -- the vintage/craft/flea market, music (Willie Murphy at the ivories) and snacks at the Commodore in St. Paul. They introduced me to the Goldworm label, the insanely rich patterned wool frock on the left. It just has this 70s arty Bonnie Cashin-esque vibe. As you would if you were a freak, I went right home and searched the information superhighway for Goldworm (the name is a marketing nightmare and possibly the sole reason the brand is not as well-known as Cashin).  It was started by Mr. and Mrs. Goldworm in the 1920s in NYC as a sportswear line. Later they moved the production to Italy to take advantage of the superior wools, dyeing and construction going on there. Goldworm garments were produced using many of the same materials and artisans as Pucci.  Fantastic prints were the hallmark of the brand (aha), which reached a peak of popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't think they are produced any more, but they're fetching a pretty price on eBay. I forgot to ask her how she scored this bloom of loveliness.
Holy cow, unsolicited. I do go on. Of course so much to love about our friend on the right -- vintage velvet hat, tie-dyed dress from Anthropologie and bespoke belt whose clasp had a former life as a hat topper. But naturally I was down on my knees getting up-close with those shoes.  Rhinestone buttons on the front and, brilliantly and functionally, at the ankle. Sculpted heel? That's what I'm talking about. They're Onex, recently purchased at Nordstrom Rack.  Surprised? I was. I have an impression of Nordstrom's as being middle-of-the-road, nowhere near this edgy.  This impression is based 100% on my imagination as, full disclosure, I've never been to Nordstrom's Rack!

No comments: