Sunday, February 7, 2010

schooled once again

It's late so I don't have the ambition to document my latest gaff. Some hours after that post about lonely J Jill or Eileen Fisher designers, I stopped by the Lake Street Savers and came home with a butter soft purple suede (eggplant to be exact) jacket from... wait for it... Eileen Fisher. Oh snap.

Also my new favorite museum is the Minneapolis Museum of Russian Art. Recall my mewling about lack of color? Solved. The permanent collection is wonderfully approachable and appreciable, and it was augmented by a boggling matroyshka exhibit that opened my mind to that genre, and a Silk Road photo exhibit by the photographer to Tsar Nicholas II. The textiles in this exotic primitive environment -- I could have wept. The fact that mere people could produce such intensity of color via natural dyes and capture it via very early color photography was mind-blowing. Mama don't take my kodachrome, mama don't take my kodachrome awaaaay.

No comments: