Tuesday, May 27, 2014

someone from Naperville, IL bought a shiny jacket

Six kinds of shine going on here which I tried to ameliorate via vigorous Photoshop, but alas.  Nevermind.  Here we are, with 97 million other people, waiting for the 2 or the 3 or a great big NYC rat, and this woman's beauty shone through. After revealing that I was from Minnesota by way of Northbrook, IL,  she was horrified opened up and said she was actually not a super cool New Yorker from birth but rather a super cool person from Naperville, IL where she bought this shiny coat because no one else from Illinois ever would. And I can confirm this. No one from Illinois would buy this satin shiny coat with stealth hidden snaps. Too slick. Too overt. People from Illinois buy tweed and khaki and Land's End raincoats in colors like Valium or Dank. Oh boy, I like a generalization.
In my defense, I tried like the dickens to show you that her shiny shoes are in fact shiny wingtips that were originally like $1,300 but she found at a sample sale for...
and then we were interrupted by some hideous tourist asking for directions, oh my gosh. As if. And I never found out what a super deal she got on these wonderful shoes.
She works at Ralph Lauren sketching children's clothes, so probably Ralph Lauren will slap some cash on me for tagging them here. Ralph Lauren. She did not blond herself -- someone else did.  Which is why she looks freakin boss.

Below is the picture I did not take of the perfectly attired hipster I sat next to on the flight to NYC...






He was a French/Philosophy major from Reed College who subsequently spent 8 months in Lyon perfecting his French/upper lip hair and was on his way to a PhDaddy's postdoc in Brooklyn living with friends in Bed-Stuy and working in the Village as a barista.  Who am I to judge, right?  Chairman of the bar, is all.  But he was sweet and delightful and I made him pronounce Lanvin and Canne over and over and over. The key to French pronunciation I discovered is to speak quickly and without emotion or moving your lips, only your glottis.  He was wearing some awesome black jeans that I took to be waxed but found out they were in fact dirty, by Portuguese company, Loreak Mendian.  When you say this with correct pronunciation it sounds like you may not choke to death on your hair ball. Here is a photo I did not take of their glottis clothes...


No comments: