Thursday, June 25, 2009

a true story of epic nonchalance


So I spent unspeakable hours choosing complete ensembles for every major wedding-related event -- the tea with moms and maids, the rehearsal dinner and the wedding itself. Naturally, the dress I had planned to wear to the wedding that was then supplanted by the taupe one you see in situ above fell to rehearsal status. It's a sheer vintage thing that is lovely and fragile. Friday afternoon, I found myself with two free hours and Soho within walking distance. Of course, I had googled up some thrift shops in the area. St. Luke's Thrift was in a likely basement next to the church. A cool St. Laurent opera jacket got my attention as did a fitted cocktail dress of 50s sensibilities with a mauve lace overlay. It had a tiny bow at the waist in front. Not sure if St. Luke's had a fitting room but, being a bit impatient, I slipped it on over my clothes. Normally those wiggle dresses fall flat on my nonchest but this one got my blood pressure going because it actually did fit (visualizing not having a swing top bunched up at the hips). Ten dollars for the poor and downtrodden of St. Lukes parish. Done and done. I was so smitten, I wore it an hour later to the rehearsal dinner. Alas, it was a physical relationship only and I sold it 4 days later at the Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg to fund a cashmere sweater and a Joseph linen jacket that has absolutely no biblical overtones. But curiously, I was able to part traffic while wearing it.

No comments: