Thursday, October 4, 2007

tiny world rocked

I was inspired to establish this blog by an extraordinary haul on my Sept. 29th Savers run -- full length 100% cashmere coat in a voluminous snuggly design maintained in unimaginably pristine condition; natty Chaiken wool tweed pants with leather waistband; super-slinky halter-collared bit of business; vintage Oval Room fitted wool sweater jacket that channels Katherine Hepburn; purple leather foldover boots by 9West; it goes on. Spent a doable $53.56 on the lot. So I was basking in the pride of ownership even as the heat of the hunt was cooling when, through unknown processes since I swear I am not one of those eBay slaves, I found myself in a wonderland of mind-boggling design and all I was able to sputter for the next few days was star4488. It's an eBay store of Chinese origin with the sweetest, most amazing knock-offs. Not those hideous plastic inflictions you find on Canal Street which were unspeakably ugly even fresh off the Vuitton assembly line. Coats mostly with astounding detail -- Burberry, Chanel, Chloe, Moschino. So the design inspiration was good and right with the universe. Any self-respecting knockoff organization has a responsibility to knock these off. And considering the level of detail, this was the work of the experienced 16-year-old workers, at the very least. So blown away I was, that I went through the tooth-pulling of setting up an eBay account and bidding on a particularly wild and wooly coat which was listed at $148. Also as "charm lovable runway outstanding coat." I got it for $60 but let us not forget the $40 shipping from the Far East. I had an excite email exchange about the shipping which resulted in my confuse and i pay sorry discount $6. It was lively and fun and I expect a coat in the mail in about 5 days. I have ugly suspicions about that wool that's so cheap it wrinkles. Have I discovered Shangri-La? Will report back.

No comments: