Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I like my math + econ majors with a side of style

You wouldn't know it from this photo but her head had recently exploded due to a math final, and it was causing her to wonder about, nay dread, the next 27 years of graduate study in her chosen double major of math + economics.  Questioning is healthy, and we can see that she has not given up on life -- hopelessness is not occasioned by tasteful accessories, I can tell you that.  
I try to be helpful when I run onto young people from Hong Kong, far from home and in a fragile condition, so I validated her feelings and said, yes, her chosen career path sounded like a living hell but it was not too late to change majors.  I think Robert Downey Jr. said it best -- if you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.  Or maybe that was Prince. I was wearing a helmet at the time.

No comments: